IRCTC keeps revising its rules based on the current environment. Most changes are made to ensure passengers have a safe train journey. Post-pandemic, safe travel has become a priority for passengers. IRCTC has developed several new IRCTC rules for passengers that will provide a safe trip.
When you get into a train ticket booking, you should ensure that you follow all of these guidelines by IRCTC. You should travel only if you have confirmed tickets. You should follow the tips for tatkal ticket booking if you face any challenges with getting a confirmation on your booking. The new rules issued by the IRCTC take COVID and night issues faced by the passengers into consideration.
Let’s check out some of the new guidelines by IRCTC that you must follow when booking a train ticket.
New Travel Guidelines by IRCTC
IRCTC is the body that governs the working of trains. They keep changing the rules for passengers to suit the occasion and ensure that the passengers make the most out of their train journeys. Some of the new IRCTC rules for passengers are as follows:
- The passengers can only travel via train if they have a confirmed train ticket booking. In other cases, they will not be allowed to board the train. Therefore, make sure your tickets are confirmed before the date of your train journey.
- You must mandatorily wear a face mask throughout the journey. You should also carry a hand sanitizer and keep sanitizing your hands throughout the journey.
- All the standard COVID-19 protocols should be adhered to by all the passengers and the train staff. It would help if you reached the railway station at least 90 minutes before your train’s departure.
To ensure this happens,
- Passengers must follow all the safety protocols while waiting at the railway station. They should maintain an arm’s distance from all the passengers waiting at the station.
- The catering service is also put on hold for most of the trains. Food can be a primary source of spreading the infection. Hence, this step is taken to contain the spread of Coronavirus.
- While all long-distance trains will carry the usual number of passengers, the local trains have been instructed to take only 50% of their regular passengers. The authorities will keep a check on the local trains to ensure that the rule is being followed.
- Based on the local and state laws, some states might demand a negative RT-PCR report before the passenger takes the train travel.
- Also, before boarding the train, the passenger should thoroughly go through all the COVID protocols of the place they are traveling to.
Beyond COVID protocols, the passengers must also follow some other rules. Some of these rules include:
- A co-passenger is not allowed to talk on their phone loudly or play loud music in the vicinity after 10 pm. If you experience similar activities, you can immediately reach out to the ticket checker or the higher authorities. This law has been incorporated after several complaints of loud noises at night have been registered with IRCTC.
- Before you begin the train ticket booking process, it is essential to add your contact details, i.e., your phone number and e-mail ID.
- Window seats create many problems in trains as people tend to fight them. With the installation of unreserved coaches in trains, passengers can select window seats while booking their tickets. It’s not a law per se, but it is incorporated for the benefit of the passengers.
- All passengers must switch off the lights after 10 pm. You may switch on the night lights if you travel via a train at night. You can register a complaint if a co-passenger denies switching off the lights.
- Also, earlier blankets and linens were provided to passengers traveling via an air-conditioned train. This practice was stopped for now to control the spread of the virus. However, the authorities have asked the service providers to resume these services. Therefore, passengers can demand linen and blankets during their train travel.
While these rules are in place, the night staff will continue to operate peacefully. However, if, as a passenger, you feel that any of these rules are being violated, you can reach out to the night staff members. They will ensure that the problem gets resolved in time.
IRCTC takes passenger complaints quite seriously. Hence, they have developed these guidelines to ensure passengers have a pleasant journey. Additionally, the number of COVID cases is rising again, and the government needs to contain the spread. Hence, the COVID guidelines should also be adhered to along with the night travel guidelines.
You must also check out the tips for tatkal ticket booking so that you get your tickets even if you book them at the last minute. You can only take the train if you have confirmed tickets! Happy traveling!