Breathtaking landscapes and natural ecosystems make North East India a rare gem that is rightly called ‘heaven on earth.’ The cultural history and activities provide an unforgettable North East experience.
Top 20 Must-visit Places in North East India
- Kaziranga National Park – Famous for the magnanimous one-horned rhinoceros, Kaziranga National Park is a UNESCO Heritage Site. Activities like Jeep Safari, Elephant Safari, spotting colossal rhinos, and basking in nature’s beauty will be a lifetime experience.
- Umananda Island – Perched along the middle of the Brahmaputra River flowing through the heart of Guwahati City, Umananda is the world’s smallest inhabited river island. It is an ecologically gifted region that houses a Shiva Temple.
- Gangtok – The capital of Sikkim – should top your list of places to visit in Northeast India. Nestled between mountains and clouds, this hill station provides an eye-catching view of Mt. Kanchenjunga, Tsomo Lake, and Enchey Monastery.
- Siliguri – Located at the foothills of the Himalayas along the Mahanadi and Teesta River banks, Siliguri is the Gateway to Northeast India. Sites like Jalpaiguri, Mahananda National Park, and Mirik offer a vantage point into North East India.
- Kamakhya Temple – Situated atop the Nilachal Hills in Guwahati, this legendary temple offers a peek into India’s powerful Tantrik Cult. The annually organised Ambubachi Mela is a sight to behold.
- Ziro Valley – One of the best places to visit in Northeast India, Ziro Valley in Arunachal Pradesh offers a panoramic view of verdant hills and is home to 300 exotic birds and 170 vibrant butterfly species.
- Tawang – This smallest district of Arunachal Pradesh is often considered the earth’s gateway to heaven. Destinations such as the Tawang Monastery, Nuranang Waterfall, and Taktsang Gompa make Tawang a popular choice for places to visit in North East India.
- Cherrapunji – Famous as the wettest place on earth, Cherrapunji in Meghalaya has multiple sightseeing choices like Mawsmai Caves, Double Decker Living Root Bridges, and the Nohkalikai Falls.
- Mokokchung – Known as India’s intellectual and cultural capital, Mokokchung in Nagaland is the epicentre of the Ao tribe and home to exotic greenery. Do not miss their Hornbill Festival!
- Pelling – A must in the list of places to visit in North East India. The breathtaking views of Khangchendzonga, proximal ranges, and the annual Khangchendzonga Festival make it a favourite of all.
- Mawlynnnong Village – Reputed as Asia’s cleanest village, Mawlynnong in Meghalaya stands out for its communal harmony and offers a charming range of fruit orchards and lively streams.
- Shillong – ‘Abode of Clouds,’ and Meghalaya’s Capital – is the perfect getaway for a dreamy vacation. With Verdant hills and an ever-present fog, Shillong offers an ethereal experience.
- Majuli Island – World’s largest inhabited river island is one of the best places to visit in North East India. Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalay, Samaguri Satra, Tengapani, and more are sure to give you a wonderful experience.You can visit Majuli only via the ferries from Nimati Ghat in Jorhat.
- Champai – This small town is found nearby the Indo-Myanmar Border. Champai’s natural beauty, sprawling valleys of rice fields, and seasonal orchids are its highlights.
- Tura – An unexplored gem of the Garo Hills in Western Meghalaya, Tura is truly an eco-tourist hub of the state with natural attractions like the Nokrek National Park, Rongbang Dar Falls, Siju Caves, and more.
- Loktak Lake – Located in Manipur, it is one of Northeast India’s largest freshwater lakes, renowned for its small floating islands. The world’s only floating National Park – Keibul Kamjao National Park is present here.
- Goecha La – A mountain pass in Sikkim and one of the best places to visit in North East India. Goecha La serves as the base camp for trekking, mountain scaling, and more, thus making it an adventure lover’s paradise.
- Pasighat – ‘Gateway to Arunachal Pradesh,’ Pasighat is home to the Brahmaputra cascading down from Tibet. Adventure activities like boating, river rafting, and fishing provide a unique experience of tranquillity and thrill.
- Sivsagar – Is home to multiple spots of historical eminence. It was the capital of the Ahom Dynasty, and the kingdom’s glorious past can be witnessed at Rang Ghar, Talatar Ghar, and more.
- Neer Mahal Palace – Located in Tripura, it is an architectural marvel amidst Rudrasagar Lake. Mesmerising motifs and royal decorations make this Palace unquestionably one of the best places to visit in North East India.
Here it is! The top 20 best places to visit in North East India. From Kashmir to Kanyakumari and Goecha La to Gujarat, RedBus takes care of all your travel needs.