One of the most popular tourist routes from Bangalore is to Mysore. Mysore has been a must-visit place whenever anyone visits Garden City. The state highway was built in 2003. Yet, that had not eased the traffic woes on this route.
Thanks to the Bangalore-Mysore Expressway, the overall travel time of the route is now less than three. Depending on where you start from Bangalore and the time, you could reach Mysore from Bangalore in less than 2 hours as well. This is possible when you have hired any Bangalore to Mysore taxi services such as rYde.
About Bangalore-Mysore Expressway
Bangalore-Mysore Expressway is 117 km long and is built on NH 275. This expressway reduced the travel time of more than 3 hrs with usual traffic on this route to less than two hours. Yet, on average, you could reach Mysore in less than three hours from Bangalore.
The expressway was opened on March 12, 2023, by the Honourable Prime Minister Narendra Modi. This 10-lane highway has reduced the travel time from Bangalore to Mysore tremendously. It was planned as an alternative to the NICE road and is built in two phases – Bengaluru – Nidaghatta and Nidaghatta – Mysore having a distance of 58 km and 61 km respectively.
There are a total of 19 large and 44 small bridges along with four railway overbridges and 50 underpasses. The state highway passes through Bidadi, Ramanagar, Channapatna, Mandya etc. The new expressway has a bypass on all these places, thus reducing the overall time and distance.
The Bangalore-Mysore Expressway is useful for those going to visit Mysore, Kodagu, Mangalore, and Kerala. The toll booths are open at different spots. The toll charges will be INR 135 for one-way and INR 205 for a one-day return if you have a private car or are hiring Bangalore to Mysore taxi services.
How to Reach Mysore from Bangalore in Less than 2 Hours
Now that you have learned the basic details about the expressway, it is not time to be realistic. As enticing as the expressway is, one cannot ignore the reality of the traffic on the roads of Bangalore, no matter which part of the city it is.
So in all honesty, it is possible to reach Mysore in less than 2 hours only for a few selected locations in Bangalore. You might even have to travel early in the morning to have a quicker journey.
Which are those locations from where it takes less time to reach Mysore? But before you see those locations, it is important to note that starting early can save you more time and you can reach Mysore in less than 2 hours. Otherwise, the travel time can be anywhere between 2-2.30 hrs or more.
- Electronic City is 153 km away from Mysore and usually takes 2 hr 30 min to cover the distance. The early morning hours and proximity to the NICE road will help you reach your destination in less time.
- Bannerghatta to Mysore has a distance of 147 km. But with the faster route with regular traffic, the expected travel duration is 2 hr 17 mins. Starting before sunrise can get you better leverage and reach Mysore for breakfast.
- JP Nagar: The 144 km between JP Nagar and Maysore can be covered in 2 hr 27 min with regular traffic. When the roads are free in the early hours, you can no doubt cover the city limits faster and reach your destination at least half an hour earlier.
- Banashankari: It is 142 km from Banashankari to Mysore. It will take at least 2 hr 17 min with regular traffic to reach Mysore.
- Kengeri is the best place in Bangalore from where you can reach Mysore in less than 2 hours even with the regular traffic. If you start early, you could reach even quicker and save another 20-30 minutes.
Best Ride to Save Time
If you are planning to reach Mysore in two hours’ time, you must either own a car so you can ride at your pace or hire Bangalore to Mysore taxi services. If you are choosing the latter, it is important to hire cabs from reliable sources.
The expressway is newly constructed and the traffic on this route is not high so it can be tempting to drive at some dangerous speed. Moreover, early morning hours are the best time for a shorter journey so it is essential that the taxi driver come on time.
Booking a cab with trustworthy portals such as redBus rYde can help you travel faster, and safer, and can trust the driver to reach for pickup on time. You will also be able to choose the cab as per your budget or other criteria.
Places to Visit Along the Way
- Janapada Loka open-air museum at Ramanagara is a cultural and traditional conservatory dedicated to the local arts and crafts. You can also see the Doddanagudde Forest and wildlife nearby.
- Kanva Reservoir at Ramanagara is off the Kunigal Main Road. This lake has a picturesque view of the surrounding hills and grassy meadows.
- Ramadevara Betta Vulture Sanctuary near Ramanagara is off the highway. This natural reserve has a large population of vultures.
- Channapatna, a town on the route is famous for local handicrafts such as wooden toys, that are exclusive to this locality.
- Daria Daulat Bagh in Srirangapatna is the summer palace of Tipu Sultan, the former ruler of Mysore. You can also see his burial ground at the Tipu Sultan Gumbaz.
- Kokkare near Bellur is where you can see pelicans during the rainy season.
- Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary in Srirangapatna is one of the largest bird sanctuaries in Karnataka. It is located just 16 km from Mysore.
Despite the more luxurious Vande Bharat Express available on this route, the Bangalore to Mysore taxi services are faster and cheaper. You can also find restaurants at Ramanagara, Mandya, Srirangapatna, etc., on the way from Bangalore to Mysore. Book your rYde now and enjoy the new route!