Among adventure sports, Himachal Pradesh river rafting has a special place. In a nutshell, rafting is an activity that takes place on a colorful inflatable raft that crosses the turbulent waters of the river. However, it is not just that, there are not enough words to describe the thrill of living an adventure like this. It is definitely an experience that will leave you with memories to last a lifetime. Himachal Pradesh has many places that are brimming with natural beauty and offer a wide variety of rivers for rafting.
Whether you want to take a leisurely trip to admire the scenery or you want to get your adrenaline pumping and experience a thrilling adventure. Now you probably want to know when, how and where to do it, don’t worry, we’ll tell you all about it.
Different Types of River Rafting in Himachal
Before we talk about the best places for Himachal river rafting you should know that there are different degrees of difficulty. Depending on this you can choose the rivers or cities that suit you best. If you are a beginner don’t worry you can learn quickly, and you won’t be short of challenges if this is not your first rodeo. For your safety and comfort, the rivers in Himachal have been classified according to international rules. In total there are 6 categories and below we explain them to you.
- Category I: The water is calm with small waves and no obstacles. Ideal for relaxing and spending the day.
- Category II: This is a moderate difficulty where there can be drops of up to one metre. Suitable for an exciting but calm first experience.
- Category III: Difficult, there are irregular waves and narrow passages. Precise manoeuvring is required to keep the boat stable.
- Category IV: Long and difficult rapids. The waves are more powerful and irregular, during the manoeuvres the water can reach up to the face.
- Category V: very difficult. The route is violent and long and the rapids are very congested.
- Category VI: Impossible to handle, only for experts with a lot of experience.
Best Places to Go Rafting in Himachal
Known for its natural beauty, Himachal has several perfect places for river rafting. Always accompanied by incredible scenery and an atmosphere suitable for adventure. Each place will allow you to discover new surprises, the waves and the movement of the rivers will never disappoint you. Some of the most amazing places are:
- Mcleod Ganj: The Chamba River is one of the favourite spots for tourists, besides of course the amazing green landscape of the surrounding area. The city has amazing architecture and history and of course rafting! September, October, and November are the best months to experience this adventure in Mcleod Ganj. We advise you to start here if you are a beginner and are just starting to get into the sport.
- Kullu: Rafting the Beas River in Kullu is a unique adventure experience. Accompanied by the incredible views and the rich culture of the place. River rafting at Kullu is open from April to June. It is the perfect place for those looking for a real challenge in the wilderness. Here you will find grades 4 and 5.
- Manali: This city is an adventure paradise. On one side you have beautiful snow-capped peaks and on the other a river ideal for rafting. Manali is magnificent, enveloped in an aura of calm and serenity, and is a favourite with rafting enthusiasts. The best period for rafting here is between October and February.
- Auli: The scenery in Auli will leave you spellbound. Rafting the Alaknanda river is an experience like no other. Rafting here is one of the most popular activities thanks to the beautiful scenery. The ideal time to enjoy rafting in Auli is from October to March.
- Shimla: If you are looking for a real challenge Shimla has what you are looking for. Shimla river rafting requires experience. You will find stretches of 9, 12, and even 20 kilometres. Also famous for Tattapani rafting.
- Kasol: River rafting in Kasol is the perfect way to get close to nature and feel the adrenaline rush. The route is surrounded by beautiful scenery, gorgeous valleys, and beautiful blue skies. So if you are an adventurer you know what is the best destination for you.
What Is The Best Time To Go Himachal River Rafting?
The best time to enjoy Himachal river rafting is during summer when the weather is warm, the heat is sunny, and the atmosphere is pleasant. The perfect time to enjoy river rafting is from October to May to avoid the monsoon season but it all depends on the location you choose. During the monsoon, rafting companies are often closed due to the risk of rainfall. Check that the type of rafting you wish to do is available on your travel dates.
How to Get Here?
Travelling in India is easy, the whole country is well connected by trains, planes or buses. But to get around Himachal Pradesh we can’t help but recommend travelling by bus especially if you want to go rafting in various places. You will most certainly be able to find an HRTC bus to get to the place you want to go. You can always book bus tickets online with redBus to secure your seat and the best price. Depending on the season the demand increases so make sure you secure your transport as quickly as possible.
Himachal river rafting offers you one of the most spectacular and unforgettable adventures on your holiday. All the places are ready to welcome you whatever your travel plans are, whether you are travelling with friends, family, or even for your honeymoon. The adventure will be unforgettable, and all framed by the incredible scenery of Himachal Pradesh. While you are in the region you should not miss the opportunity to try the local dishes. Nothing like a good meal to boost your energy before a big adventure.
You may like: Best Holiday in Himachal Foothills